Sunday, August 22, 2010

Nantucket Twenties

Yes, August is rapidly coming to a close, and it's time for another posting.  Past time, really. But I have little to report. The fish have been few, the seals, many, and the weather, beautiful as ever, at least until this morning.  It's a gloomy Sunday here, and as I sit here staring at my computer screen one item comes to mind that I have failed to note.  This summer I have encountered ATMs on this charmed island that dispense fifty dollar bills in place of twenties.  I was surprised the first time this happened, but the rationale  for this was immediately obvious to me; everything just costs more here.  Indeed, it's fair to say that a mainland fifty goes only as far as a twenty on Nantucket.  Here, on this magical isle, a fifty is the new twenty; a Ulysses S. Grant greenback is only worth an Andrew Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment